Friday, June 3, 2016

music and memories


Last night I attended a performance by the North Carolina Symphony in Raleigh.  The entire performance was music by Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein: selections from "Carousel", "Oklahoma", "South Pacific", "The King and I", and "The Sound of Music".  They were assisted not only by two fantastic vocal artists, both with Broadway experience, but also by the narrative comments of Oscar Hammerstein III.

It occurred to me how big a role music plays in our lives, especially in sparking memories.  Certain songs make us laugh or cry (or both), some stir up social commentary, and some bridge time and space with instant connections to people, places or events.  We cannot hear "Oklahoma" or "The Surry With The Fringe On Top" without feeling joy.  I, personally, cannot hear "You'll Never Walk Alone" without tears - it is and has been a favorite for many years.  How can we hear "Shall We Dance?" without wanting to jump up and dance (and picture Yul Brenner dancing)?  "South Pacific", set in World War II, makes me think of my father, and, while there is romance, it touches on the social issues of racial bias.  There are many memories connected to "The Sound of Music".

I remember seeing the movie version of  "The Sound of Music" and being absolutely transported to another time.  I also remember taking my siblings to see it later and, sadly, almost ruining it for my brother by telling him everything that was going to happen before it happened and by singing along with the score!  It was a joy last night to hear Oscar Hammerstein's grandson inform us that we had the right to sing along - and the audience did!  Tears flowed again at the last number: "Climb Every Mountain" as we are encouraged to overcome obstacles in our lives.

Mr. Hammerstein related stories of the background of these musicals, and I never knew how big a role history and current events played in their success.  Men going off to war filled theatres to hear "Carousel", and left hoping that everyone could be redeemed like the "hero".  "Oklahoma" was basically about patriotism and uniting the cow man and the farmer, at a time when the entire country needed unity.   "South Pacific" and especially the song "You've Got To Be Taught" addressed bias at a time when the country was being more divided than ever.  He was an excellent speaker, and I wished I could sit in one of his classrooms and hear him talk more about the role these musicals played, as well as his grandfather's role in their creation!!!

I came home with music in my head and a song in my heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment